Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Christmas Knitting 2007

Being pregnant, I didn't have a huge Christmas knitting list this year. I do have an extensive baby knitting list (more on that later) and I'm not quite stupid enough to think that I could handle much more than that.

However when Anny Purls posted her Buddy Bags pattern, I fell in love! I ordered the pattern right away and dreamed of knitting bags for all of Eric's little cousins (2 girls and a boy).

On the flight to Vegas in October, I started the Bunny Buddy Bag using Caron Simply Soft yarn that I had in the stash. The bag itself flew by and was finished by the time we got home. I then knit up the i-cord strap, the little basket and the bunny finger puppet in another couple of nights.

Sewing all of the pieces to the bag was a bit of a challenge. I hate finishing. I made the mistake of sewing the basket onto the bag before closing the bottom. So, it is slightly off center. Also my embroidery skills could use some brushing up, but all in all it came out okay.

To line the bag, I bought a fat quarter at Joanne's in tie-dyed hot pink. I couldn't find any gingham or polka dot fabric in the right colors. It works pretty well though and considering it was the first time I ever used my sewing machine, I am happy with that result as well.

Pattern: Bunny Buddy Bag, Buddy Bag by Anny Purls.

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Rubine Red, Watermelon, White and Off-White. I only used part of a skein in each color. I bought the yarn from Wal-Mart.

Needles: I used a 16" US 6 Addi Turbo needle and a pair of US 3 double pointed Pony Pearl needles.

The verdict? I only knit 1 bag. Sewing all the pieces together was more than I felt like doing three times. I will definitely use this pattern again because the end result is too cute. But with all the finishing work, it wasn't as quick of a project as I expected.

Eric's little cousin was quite enchanted with the bunny finger puppet though. That definitely made it worthwhile!

No comments: